Monday, October 15, 2012

Situated Language and Learning: Intro

The main challenge in this book seems to be based upon the way people talk. It isn't enough to speak and write in the same language; furthermore, the problem at hand is getting students to comprehend educational and/or more advanced jargon than everyday language. These different ways of talking are what the author refers to as "ways with words". The way I think of it is like a discourse community; each group of people have their own "ways with words" that they understand, but outsiders might not get. I think the main argument of this book is going to be the battle between these "ways with words". You know, do we, as teachers, have to change the sound of education to reach students for their understanding? Or is there a way to continue as educators have for many years and just present the information in this formal language expecting the students to plow through the information the best they can?

As previously mentioned, there are "ways with words" that different discourse communities use. The author refers to video games a good bit, so I would like to use the same subject for an example. I play the online computer game World of Warcraft. There is a particular lingo used within the game and the players that most people don't understand. Gamers have "ways with words" that only they understand. Incredibly, these words are different among each game, too. If you do not play World of Warcraft, you can easily feel alienated from me because you have no idea when I say "I pwned those noobs in PvP. The Horde was in Stormwind and I flagged myself and started taking them down. Octane kept dying, so I had to use a battle rez... it's a good thing I'm healz or he would have died even more. Now, I"m OMW to the FP so we can start dailys". For those that don't play World of Warcraft, I think they now feel that black hole that the author spoke of. The example I just used (which I have said pretty close to those exact words in game before) is a specialized language. When I first started playing WoW, I had no clue what pwn or omw, or fp meant. After playing for about four years, I now know that pwn is "own", omw is "on my way", and fp is "flight point". The only way you can learn this specialized way with words is to be around it and use it.

Likewise, if you want to be successful in the 21st century, you have to learn to adapt. If there is an interest you have, or a goal you want to achieve, you have to learn to understand and be able to shape-shift into whatever you need to be, THEN you can become successful. I disagree with the author when he says that we need to be "shape-shifting portfolio people" (Gee, 2004). I think that's what schools want you to be! Society tends to look down on those people who only look good on paper. Yes, I agree that people must learn to, in his words, "shape-shift" because it's all about adaptation to your surroundings... survival of the fittest, if you will. On the other hand, one must represent him/herself with dignity and a certain level of professionalism if he/she wants to make it in this world, so I would have to say that I disagree with Gee when he says that academic language is not sufficient for success in modern society. You have to be both! You must present yourself as an educated person, and therefore, use the academic language to converse with others so they know you are an educated person who deserves respect. Also, you have to be able to go with the flow and read the situation. You can't be formal ALL the time, but you can't be too laid back where you seem lazy or uncaring, either; find that happy medium.

To conclude, I'd like to state that I am looking forward to reading this book. The first paragraph of the Introduction got my attention because I love learning about language and it was interesting to me- confusing, but interesting. Gee said he can switch up his "ways with words" so you don't feel like you're in a black hole. I like the way he writes and I think it will be ok to read.


Gee, J.  (2004).  Situated Language of Learning:  A critique of traditional schooling.  New York:  Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment